Over the past couple of years, we have started to see an evolution in nail designs. Many people are ditching a simple, one shade design and instead opting for an array of fun and unique nail art. Although it is always a treat to be pampered at a nail salon, there are many different DIY nail design ideas that we can guarantee you will love trying out at home!
How To Do DIY Nail Design At Home
Here at our beauty salon in Milton Keynes, we absolutely love testing out new ideas and designs on our client’s nails. There is a huge variety of different trends at the moment, which are in high demand, the more unique, the better. Here are our favourite in-trend nail designs and a step by step guide on how to create each look from the comfort of your home!
Nowadays, we see marble everywhere, in interior design, bedroom decor, stationery and now nails. The simplistic, modern look perfectly compliments any outfit, and you can combine any two tones that you wish. The most popular is black and white, so we’ve chosen these two colours, here how to create a black and white marble effect:
- Apply your base colour, white, to all nails, do a couple of coats, so the colour is solid, leave to dry.
- Grab a plastic container and pour a small amount of the black nail polish onto the surface.
- Add a small amount of nail polish remover to the black polish and mix until it is a thinner consistency.
- Dip a thin nail art brush in and then swirl into your nail in the marble pattern you want.
- If you wanted the colour more faded, you could add more nail polish remover.
- Leave to dry and add a clear top coat.
Glitter ombre nails are gorgeous to add a little glamour to your look; you can opt for a natural nude shade or be a little more dramatic with a brighter colour. Our favourite is a pastel pink shade with silver glitter. There are two options for glitter ombre, and both can be created the same way, the first is glitter starting from the cuticle working its way up and the second is starting from the tip of the nail working its way down. The process is so easy and here’s how, we’re going to base our example on glitter ombre from the nail tip:
- Paint your nails your base shade, again a couple of coats will achieve a more solid colour and leave to dry.
- Pour a small amount of your glitter nail polish onto a wipeable surface.
- Grab a makeup sponge and dip into the glitter, you can add as much or little as you want to depend on how much glitter you want to add.
- Carefully dab the sponge onto the nail tip and work your way down to the middle of the nail.
- Add more glitter to the tip of the nail to create an ombre look.
- Once dry, add a clear top coat.
Rising in popularity is geometric nail designs, bringing back a retro and 60’s style. Most people go for the triangle shape and create a bespoke pattern of their choice. You can either go for pastel colours or go for bright, eye-catching primary colours. The great thing about geometric designs is that although they look fantastic on all nails, they look equally as effective on just one nail with the remaining nails in one block colour.
Here is a useful video tutorial on how to create DIY geometric nails, you’ll need a steady hand!
We regularly see celebrities with extravagant nails featuring an array of rhinestone, jewels and gems in different compositions and although this seems tricky, it is, in fact, simple to do at home. Whether you want to add just a few rhinestones to your nails or want to create completely covered statement nails, here are a few tips to create a mess-free design.
- Use a high-quality nail glue or resin that doesn’t dissolve in water to glue on your rhinestones to avoid them falling off over time.
- Always use a small thin object such as a toothpick to apply rhinestones to achieve a cleaner and neater final look.
- Hold the rhinestone onto your nail in place with the toothpick until completely dry; we recommend about 25 seconds.
- Add a clear base coat on top for extra hold.
Chrome and holographic nails are less of a nail art design idea, but we promise that it is just as striking. To achieve this look, you will need to invest in some chrome powder, gel polish and a UV lamp, all of which can be purchased from many different nail outlets. Here how to apply chrome powder:
- Add a gel base coat colour of your choice; this will be the hint of colour that will come through your mirrored look. For example, if you wanted a pink tint, your base coat will be pink.
- Dry under the UV light.
- Add a clear gel top coat and dry again under the UV light.
- Grab a small sponge or sponge-tipped eyeshadow applicator and carefully dip into the chrome powder.
- Buff the nail with the powder thoroughly until all the powder has set, and the chrome is even.
- Add another layer of the gel clear top coat and place to dry.
Photo credit to Beauty Heaven.
It’s time to step out of your comfort zone and try a different nail design; you may even surprise yourself! There are so many fantastic options that will suit everyone, and it makes it even more exciting that you can try them out at home. The more you practice, the more you will be able to test out more complex designs, such as mandala patterns or recreating your favourite character. Once you have invested in a basic nail design kit, you will be set to start designing!